New York Fashion Week wrapped up last Friday, and I was pleasantly surprised. Typical Fall trends of menswear, military and knit looks — while still present in small doses — took a back seat to what I want to call a season of re-interpreted Spring trends in fall colors and fabrications. What does that mean? We expect to see florals, pastels, lace, appliqué embellishment, in Spring fashion; cue in Meryl Streep as Miranda Priestly in “The Devil Wears Prada,” underwhelmed stating, “Florals? For spring? Ground breaking.” But, now imagine taking those typical Spring trends and merging them into cooler temps and deeper colors, and that’s a glimpse of what to expect for Fall 2015.
Here’s a look at what I think will be predominant come September.
1. Fall Florals & Prints. In jewel tones and warm dusty hues, florals, prints, patchwork and even bandana-inspired patterns were seen on runway after runway.
2. Lace. Any way you want to see it…sheer, intricate, colorful, appliqué, top, skirt, dress, you name it…lace IS Fall 2015.
3. Fringe, Feathers and Fur. Classic cuts adorned with wispy light feathers, or trimmed with fur or fringe = Fantastic! If I had to pick my single favorite look of the season, I’d pick Burberry Prorsum’s suede cape dress with fringed heels to match!
4. Asymmetrical. Styling overall for Fall 2015 is flowing and billowy, however the more structured cuts and draping featured asymmetrical form.
5. Back in Black. In the same way that AC DC rocked the opening of the Grammys earlier this month, black rocked the runways last week. Alexander Wang’s inspiration was “Our customer wants black, so why not do an all-black collection?” and so he did, channeling rock-n-roll KISS and Marilyn Manson-esque models. Likewise, Vera Wang’s entire line was almost all black, reflective of how she lives and dresses. Black is THE color of Fall 2015, so don’t go flat with it this season…embellish it with the trends – florals, fringe, asymmetric cuts, lace and… Rock On!